To honour the life and work of visionary Mi’kmaw filmmaker Jeff Barnaby, nationwide screenings of his work will take place in seven provinces and online nationwide, in a tribute supported by Netflix.
To honour the life and work of visionary Mi’kmaw filmmaker Jeff Barnaby, CanFilmDay will include screenings of his celebrated works in a nationwide tribute supported by Netflix.
In Toronto, REEL CANADA will screen Barnaby’s brilliant and provocative 2019 horror film Blood Quantum at a gala event the Scotiabank Theatre and followed by an in-person discussion with the film’s star, Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers (Blackfoot/Sámi), and moderated by Jason Ryle (Anishinaabe). The discussion will be livestreamed on the REEL CANADA YouTube page.
Other in-person screenings across the country will be preceded by a special tribute video featuring remembrances by friends and colleagues:
- Vancouver Horror Shows presents Blood Quantum (Vancouver, BC)
- Yukon Film Society presents Rhymes for Young Ghouls (Whitehorse, YT)
- HEX After Dark presents Blood Quantum (Calgary, AB)
- Saskatoon Fantastic Film Festival presents Blood Quantum (Saskatoon, SK)
- Terror in the Bay presents Blood Quantum (Thunder Bay, ON)
- Hellifax Horror Film Festival presents Blood Quantum (Halifax, NS)
- St. Michael’s Printshop & Eastern Edge Gallery present Rhymes for Young Ghouls (St. John’s, NL)
Online nationwide, Blood Quantum will be available thanks to our sponsor CBC. The film will run ad-free for 24 hours starting at 9:00am on April 19th, on CBC GEM. A video tribute to Barnaby will be available on the REEL CANADA YouTube page.