TORONTO – January 19, 2023 – On April 19, National Canadian Film Day (CanFilmDay) is turning ten! So we’re throwing a big party. A really big party. A coast-to-coast-to-coast party. And for refreshments? A buffet, of course. A giant, mouth-watering All You Can Watch Buffet of Canadian film. This year’s programming spotlight will showcase one hundred titles: a broad and diverse cross-section of Canadian films, with ten enticing categories, each featuring ten delectable films. Categories include “Champagne and Caviar” (critically acclaimed award winners), “Jello Salads” (movies to make you smile), “Food for Thought” (a selection of worldview-changing films), “Freshly Picked” (hot new releases) and much more. You can check out all the categories and all 100 films at canfilmday.ca/spotlight/2023-spotlight.
Hundreds of screening partners across the country will once again host free in-person events in communities big and small, with lots of broadcast and streaming options as well.
As usual, there will be a wealth of programming for all audiences:
• Screenings at film festivals, cinemas, libraries, community centres, schools, friendship centres, retirement residences, art galleries, military bases and more
• Our annual event for new Canadians and English-language learners will be back in person this year in Toronto
• A tribute to groundbreaking Mi’kmaw filmmaker Jeff Barnaby, whose passing in 2022 shook the film community in Canada and beyond
• Events around the world in partnership with Global Affairs Canada
• Our annual livestream for 15,000+ high school students
• A wealth of great Canadian films to watch from home, thanks to our many broadcast and streaming partners
• And much more – so look out for more announcements in the coming weeks
If you’d like to host a free event for your community, visit canfilmday.ca/register and sign up today.
CanFilmDay is a massive endeavour that’s made possible through the efforts of dedicated sponsors and partners who continue to support us year after year. We’re thrilled that so many of our sponsors are returning in 2023, including Telefilm Canada, RBC Foundation CBC, Ontario Arts Council, Cineplex, Landmark Cinemas, CMPA and more. The complete list can be found on the sponsor page of our website.
Visit canfilmday.ca for more information in the lead-up to April 19. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram: @CanFilmDay and #CanFilmDay.
For high-res images: bit.ly/CanFilmDay2023
About REEL CANADA
REEL CANADA is a charitable organization that promotes the diversity of Canadian film and its power to spark important conversations about what it means to be Canadian. Through our core programmes — Our Films in Our Schools, Welcome to Canada, Reel Opportunities, and National Canadian Film Day (CanFilmDay) — REEL CANADA has reached millions of students, new Canadians, and general audience members.